Burton Hockey Mens 1s had a disappointing game at Sikh Union Nottingham going down 7 2.


Burton Men's 2nds hosted high flying West Bridgeford knowing it would be a extremely tough game. The game started at a fast pace with Bridgeford making full use of their 13 players against Burtons bare 11. Bridgeford took a early lead when a aerial ball failed to clear the defence and was collected and dispatched by the powerful Bridgeford forward. Jarvis in goal made several top class saves from open play and penalty corner drag flicks to keep Burton in the game, towards the end of the first half Bridgeford went 2 up with a well worked team goal against the now very tired young defence. In the last minute of the first half Burton pulled a goal back through Dougie Henderson with a highly skilful juggle and lob over his own and the keepers head. The first half ended 2-1. At half time Burton changed formation to a back 5 to try and help the exhausted defence, this worked well along with more great saves from Jarvis. In the last 15 minutes of the game the extra players made the difference and Bridgeford scored 2 more goals. The game ended 4-1, Bridgeford were a very skilful, fit and well drilled side but Burton fought well and with a squad of 12 or 13 the result may have been different. Man of the match for the second week running was Martin Jarvis.
Burton Mens 3rds had a tough game against Worcester who had beat them 5 0 earlier in the season. It didn't look good when Burton went 2 0 down. They were creating the chances and pulled a goal back just before halftime from a Stephen Goodfellow shot that was defected by Pete Gibbs . Burton had been in good recent form and hoped the game was still there for taking . Dave Watkins scored early in the 2nd half with powerful shot that that hit the defender and spun past the keeper. Worcester created the better chances and keeper Russ Davenport needed to be at his best but there were unable to hold on and as Burton pushed the winner Worcester found themselves 2 against the keeper As Davenport tried to clear the ball with his stick outside the D the Worcester forward was able to pick the ball up and dumped the ball into a empty net with only a couple of minutes to go .


Burton Men's 4s picked up the only win, 2 0  for the men's section but it was against the Burton 5ths. 


Burton ladies1s don't return to league action yet .


Burton  ladies 2s faced staveley, who sat 2nd in the league and beat them 3 0 .
With difficult pitch conditions, both teams had to adjust their style of play to fit the pitch. Burton started by making a statement, scoring 2 goals within the first 15 minutes of the game. Staveley then found themselves gaining a green card, following this Staveley struggled to pose much of an attack, with Burton's solid defence keeping them out. Half time came with Burton 2 0 up and confident.

The second half Burton knew they had to keep the play simple, working with short passes across the pitch. From this Burton found themselves with another goal, from a good strike from the top D. Staveley pushed for the last 10 minutes, hoping to gain a goal in the game. The defence was working hard for a clean sheet and staveley couldn't get a goal. Final score ws 3-0 with 2 goals for Shannon Dillon and Hatty Shenton getting the other.

Man of the match went to Hattie Barnes for her solid efforts in defence.

Burton Ladies 3s made the journey up to a cold and wet Belper. Both sides started well and burton improved their performance from the last few weeks. Burton played some nice 1 2 passes but Belper were quick to pick up any misplaced passes, breaking quickly they had several shots on goal but burtons defence held  out and went into half time goalless.

Belper's first goal came early in the second half and was a well executed goal, another was quickly conceded.
Burton took some nasty shots to the body but went down to 10 men when Becky Thandi took a hit to her ankle. Belpers 11 plus 2 substitutions took advantage and slotted a 3rd into the backboard. Determined not to concede another, burton dug their heels in and defended hard for the remainder of the match. Some good defending and a great effort from everyone. Man of the match was shared between Felicity Norcross and Annie Lord.

Burton Ladies 4s lost 1-0 to Matlock 4ths in freezing cold conditions making it hard for both teams. Burton,  started strongly with  the midfield distributing well and  passing well. Belper then scored from a controversial penalty flick. Which came against the run of play with the back four in control and not really being challenged. Tilly Winter was called into action a couple of times and made some good saves. Zoe Ridley was her usual dependable self in defence, not only playing well when called into action, but keeping the team balanced and organised.

Burton battled well throughout to try and create a goal. Claire Leadbeater got herself into some good positions on the right hand side as did Monica El-Khanagry on the left. Kate Lichfield worked hard to make herself available. Burton’s passing in all areas of the pitch was good despite the defeat. 

Perhaps the highlight of the day was the Burton debut of Izzy Ridley after turning 13, she was excellent upfront finding space and showing great awareness and skills on the ball as well as confidence beyond her years. 


Match Report for 20/01/2018