Burton Ladies 1s were back to league games and continued their unbeaten streak with a 5-0 win over West Bridgford. They kept possession from the first whistle, using a string of passes to get the ball high into the attacking 25, a Ball into the D deflected high off the opposition’s foot and Lucy Pendleton sent it into the side netting with a hit on the volley - an impressive goal to tae a  1-0 lead with just over a minute gone on the clock! They focused on possession for much of the first half and were rewarded when a long ball from Chelsea Jane found Elizabeth Snelling high near the baseline who slipped to Pendleton for an easy finish. She then completed her first half hat trick with a neat deflection through the keepers pads. Nicola Taylor completed the scoring in the first half making it 4-0. Erin Franklin sustained an injury just before half time whilst defending a short corner but soldiered on through the second half, despite a limp. The second half West Bridgford piled on more pressure and the game turned scrappy but Burton still managed to find the goal when Pendleton found Harriet Buxton on the back post for a lovely deflection. Final score 5-0. No surprise that Pendleton took  man of the match for being a goal scoring machine!

This week the ladies 2s faced Matlock 2's, who were on the same points. 

Burton had a rusty start, struggling to make simple passes between each other. After 5 minutes they kicked into gear, putting pressure on the Matlock keeper. Continuing to apply pressure, Burton scored 2 goals before half time. 

Burton went into the second half, continuing to challenge Matlocks defence. They continued to use the simple passes, but were unable to find the back of the net. Burton managed to keep Matlock out of the D, leaving the final score as 2-0, giving us a 3 point lead in the league. Both goals today were scored by Hannah Tjon Soie Len.

Man of match went to Alex Dolman for her hard work in the midfield

Burton Ladies 3s took a short trip up the A38 to play bottom of the league Phoenix. With a compliment of 12 burton started brightly and made an early attack at the Phoenix goal. Despite a few breaks from Phoenix, Burton dominated but were unable to find the net going into half time goaless.
Phoenix started the 2nd half with a quick attack threatening the burton goal but the defence soon picked back up driving the ball up the pitch into the opposition 23. The second half reflected much of the first, dominating play but unlucky to not find the backboard on several occasions, with the score line still 0-0 at the final whistle.
Despite not coming away with the win, burton’s performance was much improved than previous weeks picking up some pace.

Man of the Match went to Helen Holland who played very well.

The ladies 4th team faced a  Wulfic team on the Shobnall pitch.
Burton were prepared for a good game of hockey, quickly it became apparent it was going to be a tough game
Burton started off well with Zoe Ridley pushing forward from the back, providing opportunities which were elegantly picked up by midfield who maintained the forward push. 
Wulfic's defence and tactics prevented any goals.
Wulfic then pressed forward, looking dangerous with some good formation and well versed set pieces. However the defence created a solid defence which seemed impenetrable.

With 3 subs, rotation was often which caused a little break in structure allowing an opportunity and a messy goal for Wulfic gave then the lead.
Yet Burton were unfazed and pressed forward with some excellent passing and crossing into the 'D' .
Burton's shape looked good but Wulfic dug their heels in and defended well. With determination  a fantastic cross  was neatly slotted by Izzy Ridley into the back of the goal making it 1-1 at half time.

Burton had everything to play for and seemed to want the game more.
Burton closed down every pass and free hit much to Wulfic's frustration  This allowed a composed Burton to pass infield where Burton kept the ball in the D , passing the ball to Izzy Ridley who sent it flying past their stunned keeper.
 Burton defended well, with much of the play in the 'D' and defended a number of penalty corners with some excellent clearances by a composed Tilly Bignall. Final score a  2-1 win.

Burton Hockey Club Men 1s prepared for a weekend which could make or break their season. Facing two teams who are above them in the table they had the chance to put right some of the disappointing results they had earlier on in the season and move up the table.

On Saturday Burton faced Telford, the previous game being a 5-5 draw. With the opportunity to go above Telford in the table with a win Burton knew that this would be a very tough game.

Burton started quickly pressing the Telford team and giving them no time on the ball. The hosts eventually won a short corner and Mark Northcott stepped up and rocketed the ball into the Telford net. Burton then kept on pressing and through a slick passing move which started from the back Mark Ashton-Blanksby found himself in the D and finished calmy past the Telford keeper.

2-0 up Burton then faced a tough 10 minutes with a series of short corners being given against them. Making his return in goals Mitchell Blakemore pulled off a series of impressive saves, the highlight being a stick save from a drag flick which was destined for the corner. Eventually the persistance paid off for Telford who slotted a flick into the corner from another short.

Burton then replied by tightening the defence and stringing some nice passing play together. Their efforts were rewarded with a short corner. Breaking early from the short Telford were down to 3 defenders and the keeper. Burton then planned a routine but the injector forgot mid injection but Northcott readjusted well to flick home another.

Half time then came and Burton were able to re compose themselves to start the second half. Starting slowly again after half time Burton conceded another short corner, which Telford despatched. 

 Burton, 3 2 up then attempted to manage the game, but this only resulted in cards for Burton. Telford too got cards at this point in the game and both team were constantly between 10 and 11 men.

With 5 minutes left Liam Goode then played a long ball down the line to find Northcott who reversed the ball into the D at head height. With the ball travelling in the air Jamie Jenkins then helped the ball into the corner of the net with a deflection volley, he wont score one better than that for a while. A brilliant goal at a crucial time.

Burton 4-2 they sat back as Telford pressed hard but the hosts then soaked up the pressure in the last 5 minutes to see the game out 4-2 winners.

A massive win for the red and green army who then climbed up the table to 4th. Man of the match went to Ed Clamp with Luke Pelech and Blakemore also doing well. 

On the Saturday league front runners Stratford and Chesterfield faced each other which resulted in a 1-0 win for Stratford and this sent them top of Midlands 2 .

Burton looked to start strong against the league leaders but instead did the opposite. With possibly the worst start to a match , Burton started with slow, misplaced and mistimed passing. 5 minutes into the game Burton soon realised why Stratford had not conceded many goals all year. Their structured rigid press was hard to break down and the team required persistence to advance up the pitch.

Soon Burton's endeavour paid off as Mark Northcott converted from another short putting the hosts 1-0 up. From a decent passing move down the left Burton then again penetrated the Stratford D and  Jamie Cooper found himself back post to put the hosts 2-0 up.

Burton looking lively they kept up the pressure in the first half. With more chances passing Burton then went into half time 2-0 up.

Stratford then came out with similar tactics in the second half and looked to contain rather than press Burton. Rob Wright making his debut for the 1st team this season then found himself free in the D, using his pace he slotted the ball past the Stratford keeper with a phenomenal finish.

Nothing much else happened in the game as Burton took the 3-0 win beating the team who were top of the league but after this result dropped below Chesterfield on goal difference.

On the whole a massive weekend for the first team. Beating two teams above them the team couldn't have given much more. They look now to push on from this point and close the gap between them and the top three. A promotion push is possible but other teams will need to slip up.

After a disappointing late defeat away to Stratford last week Burton men's 2nds were on their travels again this week, playing away at mid table Worcester.
Burton welcomed Jack Smith and Miles Smurthwaite to add valuable experience at the back.
Burton made their usual slow start to the game and through some bad luck found themselves 2-0 down. With their backs against the wall Burton started to play some great hockey with Rob Wright causing the Worcester defence lots of problems. Just before half time centre forward Kevin Stanyon found himself with the ball in the opponents half, he drove into the D and drilled the ball into the far corner to make it 2-1 at half time.
Within seconds of the 2nd half starting Stanyon struck again from open play .With Burton now on the front foot Stanyon scored 2 more from short corners, one a drag flick almost burst the net open. On the final whistle Worcester were awarded a short corner which found the corner of the Burton goal off the diving stick of Whetton. a great team performance coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-4 and a magnificent 4 goals from the new centre forward Stanyon.

Burton Men3s went down 4 2 to Shrewsbury 3 rds 

A poor result against bottom of the league. Burton went behind to well worked goal but fought back with 2 goals from Stephen Goodfellow and Robert Pilgrim to lead 2 1 at half time.
It was a poor 2nd half and Burton gave away 3 poor goals .

Burton Mens 4s went to play Leicester 4s, with both teams close in the league they didn't expect a 6 1 defeat.
Not much better for Burton 5s as they went down 2 0 to Sutton Coldifeld 7s,

Burton Mens 6s went down 3 1 to Hampden in Arden 6ths in a close game. Burton started strongly and a good move saw Azhar Mahmood break into the box but he couldn't beat the keeper. Minutes later another break saw Frank Franklin have a couple of chances but again the keeper denied him. William Bickerton-Jones was making his debut in adult hockey and he was helping to link up play. Hampton had three skilful youngsters in attack and were keeping central defenders Graham Lamb and Barney Longden busy. Hampton's pressure started to build up and they won a series of corners, Lamb managed to stop one on the post and the keeper made three good saves. Finally Hampton converted a corner with a pass back to the injector to score. Burton one down at half time felt this game was there for the taking but Hampton scored at the start of the second half with another short corner which just got under the keeper. Then a third from another short corner, which was a copy of their first goal with the ejector scoring. Burton now started to up their game with Mark Shorthose and Harry Clarke running midfield and a goal came as Franklin forced the ball home. Time for Mahmood to almost get a second before time ran out. Burton would be pleased with the way they played disappointed that they couldn't cope with short corners.

Burton men's 3s beat Belper 2-0 to reach the last 8 of the national tier 4 championship. A great defensive display by the whole team and two great goals on the break finished off by Toby Ganley.

The mixed team sail through to the third round of the cup after a 4-0 win over Derby. Goals for Andrew Locker (PF), Jamie Jenkins, Luke Pelech and Lucy Pendleton. Man of the match for Connor Jenkins in his farewell game