Burton Hockey Ladies 1s took on Towcester in their first game in the new league after gaining promotion last season. Burton expected a faster pace and prepared themselves to put in some hard work. From the first whistle it was clear that neither team would dominate the game fully but Burton managed to stay slightly on top for the first 15 minutes ending up 1-0 up after a short corner routine gone wrong ended up in the goal, from Amy Palmer. The game got a bit scrappier after this with Towcester upping the pressure but a break from Sophie Carlton-Greaves late in the first half saw us outnumber the defence and Elizabeth Snelling put Burton 2-0 up with a diving finish. The second half saw chances from both sides and Megan Bignell earned her clean sheet after closing down a 1 on 1 situation and the final score was 2-0. Lots of hard work from the squad this week and great start to a new league! Man of the match was Liz Snelling for her work upfront and commitment to score our second goal.




Burton hockey ladies 2s hit the ground running in their first league match against Derby 2s. Burton were quick on the ball, using simple passes around the pitch. With some good movement from the forwards, Burton were able to grasp a goal. Burton continued to apply pressure onto Derby, quick gaining hold of turned over balls. This soon lead to another 3 goals being scored. Derby began to find their footing in the game, which lead to them scoring a goal. Burton were quick to respond with some lovely 1-2 passes, scoring 2 goals before half time to make in 6-1.


In the second half Derby were quick to attack. Burton worked together keeping Derby out of the D. The game then began to open up allowing long passes to be played. The forwards continued their movement, leading to another 3 goals to be scored in the half. Final score 9-1. A hat trick for Susie Spruce, two goals for Shannon Dillon and Hannah Tjon Soei Len, and 1 for Jane Palmer and Felicity Norcross.






Burton Hockey Ladies 3s made a goodt start to the 18/19 season with an 8-0 win over Wulfric. The opening 15 minutes were quiet with Burton attacking and pressing but unfortunately unable to convert on short corners with the opposition crowding the D and protecting their keeper.
Olivia Dale opening the scoring from open play, with about 15 minutes to go until half time. Another 2 followed in quick succession from Izzy Ridley with the second being chipped over their grounded keeper.


Going into the second half Burton spread the pitch taking on board comments from training, working the ball around the back line with great distribution from Sarah Harris at holding centre mid. Micky Shaw slotted away 2 more beautiful goals in 2 minutes. Wulfric managed to break our back line with a quick take from the halfway line resulting in the shot on goal going wide.
Burton sat in the opposition 23 working the ball well out wide with some great skill from Leanne Docksey, and another 2 well worked goals followed from Hattie Lester. Kirsten Dolman closed the scoring with the 8th goal putting Burton in high spirits at the final whistle.
Man of the match went to Sarah Harris.






Burton Hockey Ladies 4s got off to a great start in the league at Staveley winning 6-0 with only 9 players. Burton started off the stronger team and created chances from the start. Nadia Waller opened the scoring with a reverse stick strike, before Jane Thomas added a second, beating the goalkeeper to the ball. With more space on the field, some great balls were played through from the back, and Walker added another 2 goals, the first of which the ball fell to her in front of goal and she struck a powerful shot high giving the keeper no chance. After half time Burton carried on putting the pressure on. The fourth goal was scored by Thomas after some unselfish play to set the goal up. Ffion rounded off the goals right near the end. Steph Thandi worked the midfield all afternoon, breaking down Staveley’s play and stopping them getting through, and Holly Davis played well at right back, keeping possession and playing some nice passes. Natalie Walker started at the back and encouraged us all forward before having a run out up front for the second half. All in all it was a great result, achieved because of teamwork, hard work and unselfish play.




Burton Hockey Men’s 1s played Streetly 1st XI at the Ellis having  put themselves under pressure after having a poor preseason so this first league game of the year was huge.


Burton started off the game quickly and sharply and took the lead in the 10th minute. Jamie Jenkins hitting the baseline and slipping the ball to Mark Northcott to fire home Burtons first goal. Streetly gathered themselves quickly and got a goal back in the matter of seconds. The game then was even for a few moments as both teams battled hard. Burton earned a long corner where Roshen slipped the ball to Jamie Cooper who rolled onto his reverse and fired it home putting Burton 2-1 up. Streetly then fought back and scored another 3 goals taking them into half time 4-2 up.


Second half began after a positive team talk from Burton. The game was even with burton having most if not all the possession. With Andrew Locker advancing down the left, sweeping past one defender then another waltzing into the D for then to fire home into the bottom right corner. Burton were on top with Streetly battling to stay in the game. Cooper and Goode rallying the troops with an eye on a point. As the half went on Burton had more and more possession. Then all of a sudden burton broke forward with Ben Elson. Cooper and Goode before the ball fell to Goode on the top of the D to slot home the equaliser. The game was close as both teams earned late short corners which were both kept out and after a great game of hockey both teams come out with a point after finishing 4-4. Very positive start to the season with promising steps ahead.




Burton Hockey Men’s 2s took the 50 mile trip down to Warwick to start their league campaign. Things didn’t start well when a accident in the town caused a delayed start and Burton having to start with 9 players against the Warwick 15 man squad.
From the start Burton were under pressure from a high press and within the first few minutes found themselves 1-0 down after being overrun at the back. 15 minutes into the first half the additional 2 Burton players arrived and had an instant impact with a great passing move resulting in a equaliser for Burton being scored by Neil Massey. For the rest of the first half the game was even with both sides having chances and some great saves from keeper, Jack Smith, keeping the score at 1-1.
The second half started well with Burton’s quick forward line getting in behind the Warwick defence and being found down the right with hard hit passes and aerials. With 10 minutes to go the umpires sent off two Burton plavers, a now tired Burton team with only 9 and quickly conceded a short corner goal. Within seconds of Burton getting back to 11 players they found themselves 3-1 down with the lack of numbers and the heat taking its toll. In the final minutes of the game Burton scored, an insightful cross field ball from Kieran Whetton found
Harrison Kemp who first time pass found Massy who ran to the byline slotting the ball back for Ike Zieliński-Raynor  to finish. The last few minutes saw the whole Burton team in the Warwick 25 looking for the equalisers that sadly didn’t come.


A fantastic team performance with the only difference on a very hot day 15 players against 11. Man of the match was Ben Wells




Burton Hockeys Mens 3s started their league games against Finchfield 3s and it was a tentative start. The ball pace wasn't quite up to speed and ther passes a little inaccurate. Finchfield took advantage and took an early lead when a defenders pass found an opposition midfielder who released two forwards who were only facing the goalkeeper and passed it around him into a empty net. However Burton did not let their heads drop and played well in patches but never created any chances. Injured captain Ben Meir had his say at half time and Burton knew what they needed to do in the second half and reacted and stepped up a notch or two and Tom Gibbs picked the ball up and drove into the D his fist shot was saved by the keeper but Gibbs picked up to rebound to guide the ball home. Man of the match was keeper Russell Davenport for two 1 on 1 saves that Burton in the game. Injuries to Owen Walters and Simon Saccaggi were a downer and the team hope for their speedy recovery. The game finished in a 1 all draw.






Burtons Mens 4s found Boots to hot to handle and went down 5 2. Burton didn't start well and went 0-1 down in the first couple of minutes. They then picked up the pace a bit and the hockey started to flow, Tom Dean was strong in midfield and linked up well with Joshua Bullock, David Sneydy, and Dan Horsey-Elson who got stronger throughout the game but Boots got a second before the break. The second half was the better half with 2 goals being scored, Ian Brown who drilled home a penalty corner and from Tom Dean. However Boots managed to still slot 3 more before the end to win 5 2