Burton Ladies 1s played their final league game of 2018 in front of a supportive home crowd and took on a strong Olton 2s side who had won every game so far this season so were top of the league. Burton soon stamped their own mark on the game, keeping most of the possession for the first 10 minutes and worrying the opposition. The next 10 minutes saw Olton take most of the possession and highlighted what an evenly matched game it would be. Burton finally regained control and was rewarded with the first goal of the game when Lucy Pendleton battled with the keeper at the near post and managed to squeeze the ball in for 1 0 at Half time . The second half was again evenly matched with good displays of hockey from both teams. Olton found an equaliser when Burton were dispossessed in the middle of the pitch and Olton broke forwards, leaving the defence chasing back. They sent the ball goal wards, finally going in after an unlucky deflection off the keeper. Burton fought back immediately and a beautiful cross field ball from Nicola Taylor found Amy Palmer charging forwards into an empty D to strike home into the bottom left corner, leaving the keeper no chance. It didn’t take Olton long to find their second equaliser of the game, scored in a similar fashion to the first, breaking forwards and catching the keeper off guard. Burton were gifted the chance to take the lead once again when some skilful stick work from Hannah Tjon Soei Len gave her a shot on an open goal which was stopped by an Olton foot. Palmer stepped up to take the flick and although well placed, the agile Olton keeper dived the right way and denied the goal. Both teams had chances in the closing minutes, Olton denied by great defensive work from man of the match Leigh Baker and a few attacks that we had were cut short by Olton through a tactical foot and foul up sadly giving Burton no chance to get in the D and the attempts were cut short by the final whistle, with the game ending 2-2. An outstanding performance, being the only team to deny Olton the win. A positive first half of the season in a new league.

Burton Hockey Ladies 2s hosted Matlock 2s, which is always a tough game.  Burton dominated the game as soon as the starting whistle blew and

maintained possession for most of the first half, Matlock did have a few breaks but were soon broken down by Burton's solid defence. Burton had multiple chances at goal, many of which were stopped by their keeper. Finally, Hannah Tjon Soei Len played around the keeper and banged one in the net to go into  Half time at 1 - 0.

After the break the team were ready to get back in the pitch and increase the score. The play was moving up and down the pitch a lot more in the second half but Burton kept it disciplined and it wasn't long before Tjon Soei Len got another goal. Play continued like this throughout the duration of the second half and before the final whistle, Burton managed to score again with Alice Hickman, making it  3 - 0.

Man of the match went to Annie Lord for her solid defence and great distribution of the ball. 

Burton Ladies 3s was a family affair  away at derby 4s with 3 Ridley ladies making up a chunk of the 11 man squad against Derby’s 13.
Burton took pushback and dominated the game from the first whistle. Despite having the better start, Derby took a quick break and opened the scoring early.
Burton continued to dominate play, with good ball distribution across the width of the pitch and several shots on goal that  went wide or were stopped by Derby’s solid defence. With 10 minutes to go, Burton equalised from a short corner with a powerful rebound from Leanne Docksey.
Going into half time at 1-1 Burton were the better side and still going strong. Derby looked somewhat more dangerous picking up their attack, but the Burton defence held strong. Burton had a goal disallowed as the whistle had already gone for a short. Burton had several corners but were unlucky not to convert until eventually Docksey found the backboard again giving Burton the lead.
Most of the play continued in the Derby half. Derby tried the defences but were unsuccessful, and a great run of play took Chloe Logan into the D and she slotted away Burton’s third making it 3-1 to Burton at full time giving a much needed win to go back in the top 3.
Man of the Math was Docksey.

Burton ladies 4’s played against Belper 5’s. Belper with 14 players started pressing hard with both teams taking their chances to attack. Not long in Burton unluckily conceded through Belper pushing through the middle with a player on the back post. Burton continued to press and attack, eventually getting us a goal back from a straight strike by Kirsten Dolman

With morale high and Natalie Walker from the back egging the team they were soon back on their game and giving Belper a good run for their money pressing at every opportunity. Yasmin Ambler was pushing the team with Kacey Rice, Megan Johnson, Louisa Page and Clara Norcross all working together to get a second goal for Rice while battling in the D. 

Going into the second half with heads high, they kept their formation and continued to press giving the opposition no chance to get through the defence. They soon scored another goal from Johnson yet again hassling to win the ball in the D and then getting it into the back of the net. Later on in the second half, a flick was given against Burton after Steph Thandi foot stopped Belper from Scoring. Eleanor Smedley made an amazing save, winning her the man of the match performance and keeping the score at 3-1. Only one loss so far for this team and they are halfway through the season




Burton Hockey club Men’s 1s got back into the winning habit with a 5 0 win against  Warwick University 2nds. 

The game started well with Burton holding most of the possession and Ashley Harris looking dangerous.. A well timed ball through the middle from centre back Tom Shenton put Harris through allowing him to slot burtons first goal nicely past the keeper. On this high, burton continued to push allowing Mark Ashton-Blanksby, Ben Elson and Jamie Jenkins to really test the defenders resulting in a short corner. Missing the normal short corner pair it was 3rd string drag flicker Jamie Cooper who stepped up and scored. 

The third goal came from the best play of the whole game it started with the right back a wonderfully timed 1-2 between debutant Charlie Mafham and Captain Harry Cains gave Mafham the opportunity to strike on goal, with a wonderfully timed first time slap for his debut goal.

The half came and it was  a positive team talk. In the second half, the defence stayed solid with Nick Lathbury controlling the back and Andrew Locker showing some wonderful skill to find his way out of a tight spot.

Vijay Trivedy held the middle well and kept positivity flowing . Tim Winter scored his first goal for Burton,

Jamie cooper got the fifth with another dragflick and young keeper Jack Smith got his dads bonus for a clean sheet.

Man of the match was Harris.

Burton Mens 2s went down 2 0 to Players 1s. This leaves them 4th from bottom, with 2 two points separating all 4 teams. This week they face Boots 2s another one of the bottom 4 and so could do with a good result.

Burton Men's 3s lost 2-5 at home against Market Drayton 2s. Even with several changes, tThe team started well instantly piling on the pressure and being rewarded going 1 up after 2mins with a goal from Ike Zieliński-Raynor. Unfortunately this stirred Market Drayton responded and with a strong team ethic they worked their way back into the game. Burton struggled to forge strong links between midfield and the forward line. Market Drayton were tenacious and started to win the battle in midfield coming out winners in the majority of 50/50s. Burton delivered occasional glimpses of their potential but went in at half time 3-1 down. They continued to struggle against the tide in the second half and found thenselves 5-1 down. Toby Ganley showed some class with a superb individual strike to make it 5-2 but to late to make a come back. Next week its trip to local rivals Lichfield .

Burton Mens 4s travelled to league leaders North Notts 4s and went down 9 0 leaving them 6th in the league.

Burton Badgers fought out a respectable 0-0 draw away to a Stafford team, who fielded several adult players, including a goalkeeper. Some good saves from Freya Boldy and fine tackles from defenders Sam Smith and Isaac Farmer kept Stafford at bay as Burton soaked up early pressure. However by the second half, Burton began to create their own chances. Aiden Raw and Lewis Smith in particular found their passing range in midfield, supported by Haydn Simpkins & William Bickerton-Jones. These fed Brandon Logan and Alex Farmer, who terrorised the Stafford defence in their D with Charlie Hammond making some excellent runs to create space for them. Alas Burton were denied a winning goal as the umpire blew for a short corner just before the ball crossed the line. A very encouraging performance against a strong and well organised Stafford team. Mark Shorthouse and Barney Longden  providing the adult support for Burton..

The mixed team sailed through to the second round of the England Hockey Tier 1 Competition with a 5-3 win over Stafford. 2 Goals from Ben Elson and Nicola Taylor and one from Jamie Cooper saw Burton 5-1 up with 5 minutes to go. A little complacency saw them concede 2 quick goals but they had already done enough to secure the win. A slightly different line up to recent years with a rejuvenated side, showing some good potential and some good on pitch understanding building.