Burtons hockey club Men’s 1st team faced Bloxwich Men’s 1sts . Burton had a rocky start to the game, conceding within the first 10 minutes due a defensive error. Burton struck back with a good cross from Richard Stringer to Roshen Jay Jaswantlal at back post allowing him to slot a clever deflection past the keeper. Some good play from Ashley Harris allowed him to score with a shot that just managed to trickle over the line leaving the score 2-1 at halftime.

Liam Goode had a few chances to score from open play and shortcorners but unfortunately non had come to fruition, until the second half when Goode scored his first drag flick of the season.

Bloxwich came back and scored a lucky goal, a shot from the baseline left Jamie Cooper convinced that it was going wide which prompted him to shout to keeper Jack Smith to leave it. Unfortunately the ball hit the post and deflected in of Smith's kicker.

Goode then used his skills as the teams 3rd string dragflicker and put another one past the now flinching Bloxwich keeper.

Bloxwich were awarded a penalty flick in the last 10 mins but keeper, Smith stepped up the challenge and made an excellent save.

The final score was 4-2 Burton putting them 4th in the league.

Man of the match was shared by Stringer and Harris.

Burton Hockey Mens 2nds knew it

was going to be a tough match as Belper 2nds were 2nd in the league.



It started as  expected with Belper having most of the play and  they scored the first after  20 minutes. Burton responded by going on the attack and scored two quick goals the first from Owen Raw then followed by a belter from Matt Evans. At the half time you could see Belper where not happy and they came out in the second half with all guns blazing. For 15 minutes Burton held firm thanks to top keeping by Russell  Davenport and hard work in defence by Simon White, Miles Smurfwaite, Tom Shenton and Ben Wells .The turning point came when Captain  Graeme Hamblen had has his finger broken in a accidentally clash of sticks . Burton then conceded 3 quick goals for Belper to earn the victory there hockey deserved by 5 2. 

Burton Hockey Men 3s faced 2nd in the league Shrewsbury 2s and the lead up to the match proved difficult losing regulars,Stephen Goodfellow and Kev Stanyon to injuries. The immediate start was a little worrying as top scorer Toby Ganley took a hit to the face and clearly dazed went straight to the bench. Keeper,  Mark Bignall set about commanding his D and the rest of the team set about dismantling them. The defence of Keiran Whetton, Tim Glover, Rob Pilgrim and James Crane were solid. The midfield dominated with some strong displays from Simon Saccaggi and Dominic Sturman. Ike Zieliński-Raynor was a constant menace, supported by Tom Gibbs up front. Toby Ganley came off the bench after his head bashing and scored a hat trick before half time. Gibbs also added another stunner to go 4-0 up at half time. Burton came out with the same intensity in the second half.
Captain Ben Meir found himself deep in his own half and managed to get it out under intense pressure to Gibbs who passed to Saccaggi who went cross field to Sturman whose speed took him past one to find Ike and finally Ganley who slotted home in an amazing display of pass and move straight from the training ground. A good 5 0 win for the team a welcome return cameo from Dave Watkins. after he injured his jaw before Christmas.
A good win for Burton Mens 4s as they won 6 3 at North Notts 3. Goals from Ian Brown, 2 from Mat Mousley and 3 for Anthony Kemp.
Not to be out done Burtons Mens 5s picked up a 4 1 win against Derby 4s. Goals from Trevor Sykes, Brandon Logan, Scott Rhodes and Frank Franklin. The only disappointment an injury to the arm of Cae Di Frari after being hit by a stick.

A big disappointment for Burton Hockey Ladies 1s, who suffered their first defeat of the season at the hands of Solihull Blossomfield 1s at their pitch.

Burton dominated the centre of the pitch in the first and showed real fight to win the ball and created a number of opportunities. Unfortunately any attempts in the D either fell wide or were saved by their very competent keeper. On Solihull’s first break of the game they won a short corner which they slotted away from a rebound. A second short corner followed shortly after and a deflection routine saw the ball flying into the goal for another to take them to Half time with a 2-0 lead.

Heads not down, Burton emerged from the half time talk ready to pull the game back. Sadly the determination and desperation for a goal translated into some misplaced passing and Burton struggled to keep much possession this half. They did have a period of play that put a lot of pressure on the Solihull defence and shots from Nicola Taylor, Elizabeth Snelling and Hannah Tjon Soei Len all came very close to going in but were denied by the opposition keeper who was on fire. A green card for Chelsea Orr saw Burton sit defensively for a short while but credit to our defence that keeper Megan Bignell didn’t touch the ball once in the second half.

With minutes to go in the game, a short corner was won by Lucy Pendleton to give us a chance to get on the scoreboard. Burton used a well practised routine which saw Amy Palmer slap the ball hard into the bottom corner to make it 2-1.

Unfortunately they had no time to create another opportunity but  are still sitting happy at 3rd in the league with a 6 point weekend coming next week. Man of the match was  shared between Leigh Baker, Lucy Pendleton and Liz Snelling

Burton HockeyLadies 2s faced top of the table, Repton. realising that this was going to be a tough game, the team knew they had to give it their best as soon as the starting whistle went. Repton settled into the game from the go and immediately put pressure on the defence, who managed to clear the ball from the D many times. This continued throughout the first half with Burton making a few breaks. After 10 minutes, Repton managed to find the back of the net from a short corner. Burton quickly adapted to Repton's style of play and knew what was needed to stay in the game. This soon showed as no more goals were scored in the first half. Repton had many chances but these were quickly broken down by the defence or saved by the keeper, Angela Hughes, who made many crucial saves throughout. Half time score 1-0 to Repton.

After a positive team talk, Burton were ready to start the second half. Burton were trying hard to get the ball into Repton's half of the pitch and even the score. After some amazing team work and skill, Repton found their way back into our D and slotted their second goal,  Burton managed to get themselves on the score sheet after Shannon Dillon attempted the crossbar challenge and Susie Spruce managed to find the backboard. Not much happened after that besides a battle from both teams. Repton manage to find their third goal in within final seconds of the game. Final score was 3-1.

Man of the match went to Angela Hughes for her amazing saves and for keeping Burton in the game.

Burton Ladies 3s hosted Staveley at home .
Burton opened the game quickly scoring in the first minute from Izzy Ridley, quickly followed by another from Ffion Church for 2-0 in the first 5 minutes. The game started to flow and another attack from Burton resulted in another goal from Ridley. Staveley,  started playing scrappy hockey but Burton held firm and Staveley had minimal attempts on goal cleared either by keeper, Alice Hawkins or the back line.
Burton were confident going into the second half 3-0 up but Staveley appeared  got themselves into the game and pushed hard on the attack. Second half was settling in to be fairly quiet with numerous short corners that unfortunately Burton didn’t convert. a fourth goal came from Hattie Lester after the keeper came out, and the ball pushed around her and slotted in.
Goal number 5 came from a flick awarded for a foul on Kerry Westgate. Ridley stepped up and put the ball in the right hand corner to seal her Hatrick for the match and the final score was 5-0 and Ridley also took player of the match.

Burton Ladies 4’s had an amazing game away at Ashbourne drawing 1-1 even only having 9 players against Ashbourne’s squad of 15.

Burton started off the first half in a good formation considering the lack of players and quickly became the attacking team giving Ashbourne no chance at getting through the midfield. After  15 minutes Burton were 1-0 up after a cracking cross from Steph Thandi into the D and a straight slap into the back of the net from Clara Norcross. Burton kept their heads up throughout the first half defending Ashbourne’s quick attacks through the middle where we couldn’t cover their extra players and fresh legs.

Going into the second half 1-0 up they continued to battle and have lots of close chances to score again after some good attempts at goal from  Norcross, Anouska Hanegraaf, Izzie Hughes and Thandi. These efforts were being matched by our forwards Kacey Rice and Megan Geoffersons’ ruthless efforts in the D. Ashbourne put the pressure on towards the end of the second half as Burton were finding it hard to keep up the pace. The opposition had countless attacks which were defended by our four backs Natalie Walker,  Thandi, Hughes and Kirsten Dolman. Burton conceded a goal only ten minutes before the end with a lucky push past Tilly Winter in goals who had made some goal stopping saves throughout the game.

Man of the match was awarded to Norcross but overall a great team effort for the 9 players.

Burton Hockey ladies 2s travelled to Prescot for the quarter final of the England cup competition. Unfortunately they didn't quite get the result, with the final score finishing 4-1 to Prescot. Man of the match went to Amy Palmer for her hard work throughout the game.