Burton Hockey Ladies 1s continued their strong start in their new league with a 2-1 win away against Shrewsbury. Burton set the tone of the game and attacked from the off with opportunities on goal in the opening minutes of the game. With more and more chances in the first half, they just couldn’t seem to find the net and some good defending from Francesca Lord and Megan Ridley saw the first half end 0-0. The second half they went straight at Shrewsbury and Nicola Taylor scored within minutes and Shrewsbury, who came down from Div 1, were suddenly deflated. Burton continued to look lethal on the break and youngster Hannah Tjon Soei Len beat their defenders for pace and found Taylor who put it away for her second and to go 2-0 up. A series of bad tackles then put Burton down to 10 men and Shrewsbury took advantage to pull a goal back. Burton managed to block out any other attacks from the experienced side and ran the clock down to finish 2-1. Man of the match to Taylor for her goals


Burton ladies 2s faced Buxton 1s. Burton started well, showing good levels of determination to get a goal and managed to win a short corner early. This was soon converted into a goal catching Buxton off guard. Burton continued to apply pressure with some skilful play all round by everyone on the pitch. Buxton had a few attacks but these were soon cleared by the Burton defence. Burton had a few more attacks in this half but were unable to convert these into goals.


After a positive half time talk, Burton continued the positive play, using simple passes across the pitch. Persistence soon payed off as Burton were able to bag themselves another 2 goals. On the final whistle of the game Buxton managed to win a short corner and scored making it 3-1 to Burton. Goals were scored by Shannon Dillon, Felicity Norcross and Emily Brough.


Man of the match this week went to Alice Hickman and Emily Brough for their superb efforts throughout the game.




Burton Ladies 3s travelled to a balmy but windy Ashbourne to face Matlock 4s.
Matlock attacked high from the first whistle and Burton found themselves defending for much of the first 15 minutes and were lucky not to concede a shot on goal that went wide. with some good  distribution from midfield, Burton broke up the right, across the top of the D and new member Ffion slotted away her first goal for the club.
Burton had some moments of good play, but a l
ong ball into the burton half meant that burton conceded a scrappy equaliser moments before the half time whistle.
With contributions from most of the squad at half time, Burton went into the second half well and forced Matlock into playing their game. With a short corner awarded to burton early on, Burton transposed this weeks training session into a well worked short with Sarah Harris putting away the rebound.
Open play was fairly equal in the second half but burton secured and converted another 2 short corners with goals from Becca Farndell-Thorne and Micky Shaw taking the final score to 4-1.
Man of the Match went to Emma Cantrill-Jones who had a great game at left back.


Burton hockey clubs men’s 1s had a disappointing 3 1 loss to West Bridgford 2s,


The game started slowly with Burton holding a 0-0 throughout the first half,  they knew it wasn’t good enough and knew they could do better. The basics were lacking and they seemed to have a lack of motivation.


The second half began and West Bridgford scored. Burton responded well with a Jamie Jenkins scoring a brilliant timed deflection within 5 minutes but it wasn’t good enough as Bridgford managed to score 2 more leaving the final score 3-1.


It was a tough game perhaps harder than expected.


This week saw Burton men’s 2nd team hosting Sikh Union Coventry 1st team who within their ranks have 2 former Pakistan International and it showed as they wnet down 5 1.


Burton started well attacking down the right side through Kieran Whetton who in turn was finding Ike Zieliński-Raynor, Matt Evans and Jack Newman in the Sikh Union D, unfortunately non of this possession was turned into chances. After 20 mins of constant pressing the experienced Union players got into the game and the game opened up. On the stroke of half time Union won a short corner which they dispatched into the roof of the goal via a dragflick.


Burton started the second half again enjoying most of the ball but as small mistakes were made by Burton the Union players punished them and soon were 2-0 up. Burton then scored a comeback goal through Harrison Kemp, but again mistakes were punished and union scored 3 more goals as Burton pushed forward to try and get something from the game.


A tough lesson for the Burton boys who had most to of the possession but couldn’t turn that into chances






Burton Hockey Mens threes welcomed Wolverhampton 2s and some much needed youth into the team. Early on the ball was worked into the D and on his second attempt Stephen Goodfellow converted. Spurred on by the goal Goodfellow again found himself in the D and smashed the ball against the post so fiercely that the goal moved and the ball went out for a corner. A few defensive mishaps occurred and the opposition scored an equaliser to be 1 all at half time. The second half saw Burton concede again. Burton then played out of defence via the midfield out to the right where Goodfellow nailed a great ball into the D, Toby Ganley lept like a salmon and deflected the ball right at the keeper. He then went for the rebound on the floor and was saved a second time by now the keeper was shattered and Ganley was able to pass the ball into the net. Goodfellow added a 3rd. Simon Sacarggi the ever industrious Dave Watkins steadied the ship and looked to hold on for the 3 2 win. However great work by the team enabled Ganley to add a 4th in a man of the match performance with another good finish and right before time Simon White added a flick. Making the final score 5 2 to the red and green.


Disappointment for Burton Mens 4s who went down 5 1 to Nottingham 4s.


Burton Badgers faced a tough away fixture at Cannock and were quickly put under pressure by their skilful forwards. However, the defence played well to protect the Burton goal. Cannock did eventually find the net via a short corner but Burton were finding their way into the game and looked dangerous on the break and were rewarded by a well-deserved equalizer The first half continued end to end and after Cannock restored their lead, Burton once again quickly responded with a well struck equalizer from the top of the D. With a half-time score of 2-2, Cannock swapped their adult player for one of the umpires, a younger player who clearly had a point to prove and, joining the Cannock attacks, Burton were overwhelmed and conceded four quick goals. However, not giving up, Burton fought back as midfielders picked out the forwards with some excellent passing, resulting in two short corners. The final score was 7-2